Sunday, February 27, 2011

Another weekend going going gone

It has been far too long since I shared anything.  Things around here have been stressful...but some humor always finds its way in to the mix.

Case in point, I had to take a trip home in January. My 80 year old mom, matriarch of the clan, had a lumpectomy to remove a cancerous tumor in her breast.  All I can say is ... all hail Susan B. Komen and every other organization who has supported breast cancer research. While she still has some radiation and possibly some chemo to do...early detection was key in my being able to see the humor in what happened. Lesson learned - do not forget those monthly self exams ladies!

My parents taught me that you should always look your best...you never can be sure when opportunity will knock and when it does....you gotta look like you were expecting it.  Sooo, in that spirit, at 4 a.m. on the day of my mom's surgery, after a mostly sleepless night, I got up and went through the motions of putting my makeup on and curling my hair.  As I was staring at the mirror asking myself WHY oh why was I going to all this trouble to spend the day in some waiting room - I heard a little voice say....cuz you want to be ready if that handsome doctor comes in!!!  So as I snickered to myself, I applied an extra coat of my makeup (it was going to be a very long day!).

So, things were as uneventful as they could be for most of the morning. Mom was moved from lab to x-ray to  here and there.  Finally the time came to go to the surgery waiting. After a while, it was finally time to get wheeled in to surgery one of the nurses and a nurse anesthetist came to pick her up. The nurse anesthetist showed mom the preop shots he was going to give her. We chatted a minute and he said it was time to give good bye kisses.  Mom thought he was too cute and from there in her hospital bed was trying to get me to flirt with him...when it became obvious that I was woefully out of practice, she interceded and introduced me to him... As he wheeled her out to the surgery suites i couldn't help but smile...ever the mom, even when going under the knife, she was still looking to set me up. When she came out of surgery she commented on what a cutie the "hippie" nurse had been (he was wearing a print surgical cap).

Yes mom, he was cute but I really didn't come home to shop for the next Mr. Right.

Here's to another week. May it be a healthy one for us all.




1 comment: